Application: Bottom fishing, fishing with children.
- 1 x pilchard – recently defrosted
- 1 x small-sized squid
- 1 x flasher rig – size 3 to 6/0
- Sinker - sized to match the fishing circumstances
- A sharp knife
1. Slice both the pilchard and the squid into bite-sized chucks ready to be used on a hook. Dispose of the squid tentacles, as they don’t seem to be eaten as readily as the head end.
2. Place a cut bait on each hook – only pass the hook through each bait one. Mix up the ratio to suit the circumstances. I like a squid on the bottom hook and pilchard on the top two. Tie an appropriate sinker on the end of the rig and you are ready to fish.
My favourite flasher rig is the Black Magic Terakihi Terror. It is a consistent snapper and terakihi catcher and the small recurved hooks are perfect for kids, allowing the opportunity to catch a bigger fish without the need to execute a hard strike.