Fish cheap as chips
Five of Scott Cushman’s quickfire, smart ‘n’ thrifty fishing tips.
- Check the bargain bins for useful items, but before you cough up, ask yourself: can I imagine myself using this item?
- Buy quality gear and, wherever possible, buy gear that is versatile. Items you can use for more than one style of fishing are worth the investment.
- Gear that multitasks is another winner, as it reduces your number of dedicated outfits.
- Time is one of your biggest resources. It pays to align your more costly adventures with the best moon phases – check the Maori fishing calendar and sign up for New Zealand Fishing World’s weekly email newsletter to see the best bite times.
- Remember: you will catch more fish spending more time on the water than constantly trying to expand your fishing collection. Write that down.