Here is the best sabiki rig tutorial video we have seen. Excellent tips for rigging, storage and use of the sabiki rig to maximise your opportunity to catch livies. Even if you are well experienced in using sabikis, there's a tip or two in here you may have missed.
This NZ Fishing World author profile is not yet set for public viewing.
If you would like to contact this author please email firstname.lastname@example.org
No fishing reports for this contributor.
Well here's something to really occupy the bored fisho in lockdown or when the weather is driving you crazy. Environmentally, aesthetically pleasing, super-camo fishing sinkers made from river stones.
Here's the Yamaha factory recommendations for correct flushing and cleaning of your Yamaha outboard. Are you doing it right?
Here's a good video from US of A that outlines the pro's and con's of single vs twin outboards. If you are in two minds ;-) check it out.
This is an american piece of content but totally applicable to all beach conditiond including New Zealand, as it focuses on two very good points. Ninety percent of the fish are in 20% of the water, and 20% of the fishermen that know how to read the beach will outfish the other 80% all day long. Check this out before your next beach mish.
Here's a good break down of the basics to look for if you are wanting to surf cast from the beach. It's an Aussie video but the concepts are just the same for our beaches here. A good website or app to track the surf and tides is Swellmap
Slide baiting is an awesome way to target big predatory species such as kingfish and snapper from shore. Beach, rocks or even from the wharf, this is a very effective and clever way to get you live bait out way further than you could normally cast. Check out our Aussie mates for a few pointers.
If you're familiar with vertical, or 'mechanical' jigging for kingfish, did you know that the same technique can be applied to working mechanical jigs both from a boat or from shore? Here's a quick breakdown on how it works from the Aussie boys at AdriftByNature...
The Uni Knot is a good knot for attaching your line to the hook or swivel. It can also be used to tie two lines together.
The guys at Morningtide make great videos, but it's not all that easy. Here's a look at what it takes behind the scenes. Finding great land-based spots is hard work. And sometimes you still don't catch fish.
Ever found a crayfish, gone to the surface to breathe up and come back to find that it's tucked back and locked in to the crack or cave it's hiding in? Try this..
Join Aquatic Rehab TV as they showcase four common spearfishing locations in the Hauraki Gulf of Auckland, New Zealand. In this episode they hunt the elusive snapper, dodge sharks and land a big yellowtail kingfish.
A heap of fun fishing Wellington's most under-utilised fishery, the Ruamahunga River in the Wairarapa.
Paul from the Hook and the Cook shows us how to cook a whole baked snapper in a salt crust with roasted chilli and capsicum sauce.
"The west coast of New Zealand is well known for the amount of sharks inhabiting the area. This footage is from a trip where I encountered multiple sharks while fishing for yellow tail kingfish and albacore Tuna. They are awesome creatures and should be treated with utmost respect, it's cool to be up close to them after getting over the initial fright or surprise." - Glen Cox
An awesome weekend kayak fishing from Taemaro Bay, just south of Doubtless Bay on the North Island of New Zealand.
"What knot should I use to tie my braid to my leader?" The answer depends on a few things but getting a knot wrong can result in it breaking at less than 50% line strength.
Here's an excellent video that describes the techniques for both mechanical and slow pitch jigging. In particular the use of spinning reels to jig for kingfish, and the technique for slow pitch is well worth a watch
According to Al Brown, we don't seem to bake fish much in New Zealand. Baking is not only easy but can also be a very healthy and tasty way of preparing a lot of the species we normally throw in the pan. Check out the simple video recipe from Freshcatch with Al Brown